Professor for Mathematical Statistics
Institute for Applied Mathematics
Im Neuenheimer Feld 205
69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 54 14180
Fax: +49 (0) 6221 54 14101
EducationHabilitation, Heidelberg University, 1992;
Ph.D. in Mathematics, Heidelberg University, 1983;
Diplom in Mathematics, Heidelberg University, 1980.
CareerHeidelberg University, Professor, Chair for Mathematical Statistics 2014 - present;
Academic Supervisor of the International Laboratory of Stochastic Analysis and its Applications, Higher School of Economics, Moscow 2014 - 2015;
University of Mannheim, Professor, Chair for Statistics 2003 - 2014;
Heidelberg University, Associate Professor, 1995-2003;
Humboldt-Universität, Berlin, Associate Professor 1993-1995;
Heidelberg University, Assistant Professor 1986 - 1989 and 1990 - 1993;
University of Frankfurt, Visiting Professor, 1989-1990;
Heidelberg University, National Research Center 123 "Stochastic Mathematical Models", Research Position, 1980-1982,1983-1985;
University of Berkeley, German Science Foundation Grant, 1982;
CWI Amsterdam, Visiting Researcher, 1983.
Awards, Fellowships, ...Heinz-Maier-Leibnitz-Prize, 1989;
Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, 1998;
ERC (European Regional Committee, Bernoulli Society)/ IMS (Institute of Mathematical Statistics) Liaison Person, 1995-1998;
Elected Member International Statistical Institute, 2000;
Scientific Secretary of the Bernoulli Society, 2000-2004;
Member of Scientific Board of the Mathematical Research Institute Oberwolfach, 2010-present;
Member of the ERC-Advanced Grants Panel, Mathematics 2012, 2014/2015;
Member of the IMS Fellow Committee, 2012-2014,
Chair of the IMS Fellow Committee 2014.
Associate editor of the following journalsJournal of the American Statistical Association, 2017- ; Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 2012- ; Statistica Sinica, 2009-2015; Bernoulli, 2000-2004, 2012- ; Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, Statistical Methodology, 2001-2005; Annals of Statistics, 1997- 2012; Mathematical Methods of Statistics, 1996- ; Statistics, 1996- ; Test, 1996-2000; Computational Statistics, 1995-2005; ESAIM: Probability and Statistics, 1995-2000. .
Funding in the last ten years
- PI: "Smooth Backfitting for Structured Nonparametric Regression Models", DFG, 2010-2011, travel money and staying expenses for visitors from South Korea.
- Co Investigator, "Graduate School of Economic and Social Sciences: Empirical and Quantitative Methods", Excellence Initiative Grants Committee, 2006-2017.
- Project Coordinator: "Statistics for Stochastic Differential Equations" DFG and Russian Foundation for Fundamental Research, 2009-2012, travel money and staying expenses for visitors from Russia.
- PI: "Political Economy of Reforms." Collaborative Research Center, Mannheim, SFB 884, 2010-2014, 3 post doc positions in joint projects.
- PI: Swiss-German Research Group 'Statistical Regularisation and Qualitative Constraints' . DFG, 2008-2014, 1 post doc position.
- PI: "Statistical Inference on Sets, Nonparametric Financial Time Series and Extreme Value Theory", DFG, 2012-, travel money and staying expenses for visitors.
- Speaker, Research Training Group "Statistical Modelling of Complex Systems and Processes", Heidelberg/Mannheim, 2013- , DFG.
Last edited: 2021-03-26 by jw